We’ve made a number of tweaks and user interface adjustments to this project, and it’s time to share them.
- We now have sprites and colors for EVERY type of particle. It makes it look so much more amazing. Jesse toiled over this during Thanksgiving break. Thanks Jesse!
- The user interface is now diegetic, existing in the world space. Right now it just hangs out at a particular spot. But when the user is in VR, being motion-captured in the Cube, they will be holding an Xbox controller which will also be tracked. The virtual menu will take the position of the Xbox controller – so essentially users just need to look at their hands to look at the menu. They then select whatever part of the menu they are looking at with a simple look-and-click interface.
- We’ve also added the ability to select particles by looking at them and pressing a button. When you select them, a display pops up over the particle, showing key info. On that display, if you click the Save button, the info for that particle gets saved to a display up on the wall (which is still in the works).
- The Model section now has a preset subsection, so you can save and load different configurations of the BelleII model being on and off, along with the relative transparency values.
- There are also two “scoreboards” on the Cube walls now. One shows the current simulation time, so you can glance at it from anywhere in the room. The other allows the user to start and stop a timer with a press of a button on the Xbox controller.
- At Leo’s request, we’re also now showing “dead” particle sprites. Instead of a particle sprite disappearing after the data for the sprite has ended, a “shell” takes its place, showing where the particle was when it … passed away? This has caused some new frame rate issues that I’m struggling with. 30k is a lot of individual sprites! They’re not correctly batching right now, which is what I spent most of my day trying to figure out. I learned a few things that increased the frame rate here and there, but it’s still not great yet. It gets worse as the simulation goes on, because more and more sprites are added.
Additionally, the educational side of this project is really starting to kick into gear. Instead of spending most of the meeting time talking about features for the simulation, we’re talking about lesson plan development, which is awesome! That’s exactly where we want to be moving in to next semester. We plan on piloting this thing with Society of Physics Students folks immediately following spring break!