K-12 Visiting the Cube

Editor’s Note – This post is from Phyllis Newbill, the Outreach and Engagement Coordinator here at ICAT.  Enjoy!

I had the pleasure of hosting school groups today from Mountain Vista Governor’s School and Hardin Reynolds Memorial School in Patrick County.  Thanks to Tanner and Zach, the students saw and heard demos of basketball games, elephants, anechoic chambers, cathedrals, dog skeletons, and fantasy landscapes.  The groups also visited the Experience and Create Studios to see 3D printers, the laser cutter, and a project involving lots of pencils that I haven’t quite figured out yet.  I know that graphite is conductive, though, so I think that’s a clue.

I was glad to see Mountain Vista again.  Their school has done a great job of sending projects and students to the Maker Conference each year in the spring.  Today’s group was of tenth graders, so I’m looking forward to seeing them again later this school year or in future years.

The Hardin Reynolds students happened to tour the Create Studio at the moment that Panagiotis, a CHCI grad student, was finishing a 3D print.  He showed them how the 3D printer works, and also gave them a full demo of his 3D printed olive oil factory parts.

My favorite part of the day was when the students got to see a 3D fantasy landscape in the Cube, and they reached out to see if they could touch the objects they were seeing.