Alternative realities – art and architecture + Mirror Worlds

(This semester, I’m teaching an Honors course all about ICAT. We spend each class period in a different ICAT studio or on a different ICAT project. This is another in a series of guest blogs from my students.  Stay tuned for more.  Enjoy!  ~Phyllis)

From guest blogger Sean Jocher:

Today we started off by walking through the Art galleries on the first and second floors of Moss Arts Center. We were told to look at each painting without reading the description to try and understand what is happening without the context. When looking at the portrait of Monticello flooded, I could not grasp how they had real water in Monticello without damaging the place. After we were told that the Monticello in the painting was a model replica, I was shocked. The attention to detail that the artist put into the replica must have taken him tens of hours for a tiny house. This opened up my eyes that artists can put incredible amounts of effort into the paintings for them to see realistic and noteworthy. Most of the other paintings were the same way. Huge with immense attention to detail. I was definitely intrigued looking at all the works from the artists and how they relate to each other.

After the art exhibit, we learned about the mirror worlds project. This is one of the most fascinating projects at moss arts center to me because it directly relates to what I want to do in the future. We learned that the project uses fish eye lenses around the building to see where people are and portrays them as an avatar in the virtual world. The algorithm to get the location of each person from the camera was very interesting since it required more steps than I thought it would. Someone mentioned that using an infrared camera would be more efficient which I also thought would be a great idea. I was sad to hear that while the infrared camera was considered, the cost greatly outweighed the quantity of cameras they could use with a budget. I was amazed to learn that every aspect of mirror worlds has been carefully planned out and tested. The working product placed around MAC is amazing because it is very cool to see when myself show on the screens when I walk around. I asked what kind of hardware would be needed to run the mirror worlds program, and I happily learned that they are using some very powerful servers to do the job. I believe mirror worlds has great potential since it is the bleeding edge of technology.

Sean Jocher is a computer enthusiast! He loves learning about new technologies and how they can impact our lives.